It’s finally starting to feel like Spring in North Idaho! It felt like a long time coming….like a looooooooong time. We have never needed spring like we need it now!
We have had a couple of beautiful sunny days that make me want to throw open the windows and clean the garage! Okay, maybe that is just me?! But seriously, have you noticed how the garage seems to turn into a disaster over the winter?
I think we tend to dump things out there, maybe not as neatly as we should because it is COLD out there! It just isn’t as easy or pleasant to put things away properly.
Spring is a great time to spruce up the garage and get it looking nice again! Many of us are home with time on our hands and the last thing we need to be doing is being idle in front of the TV. So, if you are wondering what you should do next….
Here are tips on how to clean a garage.
- Make sure you have plenty of time, your tennis shoes on, your water bottle and some tunes.
- Pull out as much stuff as you can to the middle of the garage or driveway if it’s nice out.
- Make three piles. Keep, Toss, Donate. Don’t get caught up in trying to sell things unless it is quite valuable. Those things usually just get put back and become clutter once again.
- Sweep or blow out the mostly empty garage.
- Organize your keep pile by like items, such as Christmas Decorations, tools, canning jars, etc.
- Determine where to put things according to how often it is used. Less used items should go in places that are less accessible. Frequently used things should be on shelves that are easy to get to.
- As soon as possible take the junk to the dump and donations to your local charity. Don’t let it sit in the garage, clutter seems to multiply on it’s own! Before you know it there will be stuff everywhere again! Get it out!
- Admire your work! It feels so good to have accomplished something like that! Great job!
I hope this inspires you to get that garage clean! I know I will be working on that this week. It’s in desperate need!